It’s strawberry season and I’m finding them irresistible to walk by in the grocery store without picking up. So I bought some! While I could have just sat and ate the entire container myself, I decided to make something even tastier out of them. This oatmeal crisp combines diced sweet strawberries with shredded coconut, cinnamon and brown sugar for a breakfast or dessert that emphasizes the freshness of spring but is still comforting. You can eat this as is right out of the oven (which is what I did because I have no patience), or serve with ice cream, whipped cream or yogurt for a parfait. The possibilities are endless and delicious!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 16 oz. container of strawberries, chopped
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- Heat oven to 375°. Spray an 8″ square or round baking pan with cooking spray (the shape doesn’t really matter, you’ll just be scooping the crisp out).
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, coconut, cinnamon and salt. Add the coconut oil and mix well. Press the mixture into your prepared pan, reserving 1/2 cup on the side to sprinkle on top later.
- Spread half of the strawberries over the mixture, then sprinkle with the cornstarch and lemon juice. Spread the remaining berries on top, then sprinkle with the white sugar. Evenly spread the reserved oat mixture on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the oat topping is lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve immediately while hot. Makes about 6 decent sized portions.